Over the next two weeks I will be giving you a little tour of our current pantry, fridge and freezer set up. The only changes we have made over the past few months is the slight increase in packaged/canned foods.
Looking at our overall food shop, I try to do the following;
- Grow what we can at home and freeze the excess
- Make from scratch what we can at home
- shop organic where possible
- Shop mostly wholefood, less processed
- Purchase some bigger food items and share with others to save costs
- All pantry items puchased- Vegan friendly
- Main shop done fortnightly, with small fresh food top up each week.
- Stick to a food budget and reduce where possible.
Our Main Pantry:
On the left side of the cupboard door I have the Dr. Gregor’s Daily Dozen list and on the right hand side cupboard door I have the Plant-Based Juniors (PB3 plate) and Nutritious Vida nutrition guidelines for children which I use for reference purposes. Both guides are free downloads.
Our Snack cupboard:
Here is a list of our main ‘Staples‘ which are the foods we tend to purchase/have on hand. I will check over this list to see what we have on hand before food shopping.
- Rice (different types)
- Buckwheat groats or flour
- Noodles (rice and buckwheat)
- Flour- Spelt and Besan (chickpea) flour
- Bread (stored in bread bin or fridge)
- Chickpeas (dried and can)
- Black beans, kidney beans and cannellini (dried and can)
- Lentils dried and can.
- Maple Syrup
- Black strap molasses
- Coconut sugar
- Dates and prunes (sometimes goji berries and cranberries)
- Cacao powder
Nuts and Seeds:
- Peanut butter, almond butter and a mixed nut/seed butter
- Brazil nuts, walnuts and cashews
- Hemp, flaxseeds, pumpkin and chia seeds (hemp, fla and chia seeds stored in fridge)
- Avocado, coconut and olive oil
- Passata (keep 3 on hand)
- Tomato paste (keep 1 on hand)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Coconut milk/cream (keep 3 on hand)
- Coconut flakes
- Coconut water (for smoothies)
- Seaweed (Nori) for sushi/wraps
- Rice paper (for wraps)
- Carton almond and soy milk. I keep these on hand mostly for guests who I know enjoy certain brands of these milks.
- Salt (Himalayan) and black pepper
- Tumeric, Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and onion powder, mixed Italian spice blend, Paprika (sweet and ground), nutmeg.
Snacks/Treats (occasionallty purchased):
- Crackers (usally seed or rice based)
- Rice Cakes
- Popcorn (kernals or COBS brand packet)
- Corn chips (G/F and organic)
- Bagels or croissants
- Vegan sausages/hamburger patties or some other kind of Vegan convenience food
- Vegan cream cheese
- Dark chocolate
- Vegan marshmallows
- Carton plant milks (soy or almond)
- Lasagne sheets
Keep an eye out for my Fridge/Freezer and kitchen garden tour post.